Five N.D. properties named to national register

A theater, pavilion, hotel, forest and stone structures have been listed in the National Register of Historic Places, according to a news release from the State Historical Society. 

The National Register of Historic Places is the federal government’s list of properties it considers worthy of preservation and recognition. Here are the five latest in North Dakota:

The Walla Theater in Walhalla was built in 1949 with a lighted marquee, a ticket booth and display windows on either side. This theater not only brought movies to the area but also accommodated as many as 408 people for local events such as the Santa Show and John Deere Day.

The Old Settlers’ Pavilion (Stump Lake Pavilion) on Stump Lake in Nelson County is a large recreational pavilion from the early 1920s that has been used for social functions. The pavilion continues to be used extensively.

The 1910 Travelers Hotel in Noonan was the most up-to-date hotel in the area when it was built. Not only did it attract local and regional travelers, but the hotel registers reveal guests such as Annie Oakley, Cromwell Dixon and James J. Hill also stayed there.

Denbigh Station and Experimental Forest in McHenry County was established in 1931 and built by the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration. The research on trees and shelterbelts conducted on this section of land provided valuable information that greatly benefited agriculture on the Great Plains.

The WPA Stone Structures in Memorial Park and Calvary Cemetery in Grand Forks consists of two sets of entrance gateways, a set of entry cairns and a stone chapel built in 1936-37. These rustic features were constructed of local stones.